Materials Research Institute (MRI)
The MRI’s core areas of expertise and four research programmes are:
- Biomedical Materials
- Controlled Release
- Polymer Processing and Additive Manufacturing
- Composites and Upscaling.
The MRI hosts two industry focused research centres:
Applied Polymer Technologies (APT)
APT is an Enterprise Ireland funded Technology Gateway hosted by the MRI. APT provides access to all of the facilities and expertise available at the MRI and the greater Gateway network to all industrial and academic collaborators. APT provides solutions, product development support and troubleshooting skills for companies using plastics materials.
APT’s core areas of expertise and five research programmes are:
- Pilot and Production Scale Injection Moulding and Over Moulding and Blow Moulding
- Thermoforming, Extrusion and Compounding lines
- Advanced Analytical Facilities for materials research, testing and troubleshooting
- Design, Rapid Prototyping, Insert Tooling and Micro-Moulding Capabilities
- Unrivalled Polymer Materials Formulation and Development Expertise.
Centre for Industrial Services & Design (CISD)
CISD provides a range of services including rapid prototyping, mechanical testing, chemical analysis, product design and engineering. CISD hosts extensive facilities to design, build and test components using 3D CAD software, in-house high spec 3D printers, vacuum casting equipment and a full suite of mechanical and chemical analytical laboratories. CISD offers extensive R&D and testing facilities of particular interest to companies in the plastics, medical and pharma sectors.
- Engineering and Design – CISD specialises in the research and development of chemical and polymeric systems as well as mechanical design and prototyping.
- Materials Analysis and Development – CISD develops, characterises, tests, analyses, reworks and assures materials, helping to develop innovative products and applications and improve performance.
For more information visit https://www.ait.ie/research-and-innovation/materials-research-institute