Athlone Institute of Technology provides a comprehensive Assistive Technology (AT) service that is central to the facilitation of students with disabilities. AT refers to any item, piece of equipment or product system that may be used by a person with a disability to perform specific tasks, improve functional capabilities and become more independent.
Assistive Technology support:
- Assistance in selecting appropriate technology to maximise productivity and independence.
- Training in computers and assistive technology to students registered with the service.
- Technical support – software installation on laptops/PCs supplied and repairs/maintenance of equipment.
- Response to general assistive technology queries from students, lecturers, college staff, prospective AIT employees, and prospective employers of AIT graduates.
Assistive Technology hardware and software available to students:
- Literacy support software – Texthelp Read & Write, Classmate Reader.
- Mind mapping software – Inspiration.
- Digital/smart pens – Livescribe pen.
- Voice Recognition software (speech-to-text) – Dragon Naturally Speaking.
- Audio software (text-to-speech) – Texthelp Read & Write.
- Note taking software – Sonocent Audio Notetaker.
- Magnification software – Supernova, Zoomtext.
- Screen Reader software – Jaws.
Facilities throughout the institute:
- AT enabled computers in various locations, such as the Assistive Technology Centre, Open Access, Goldsmith Library and computer rooms.
- Adaptive software such as text enlargement, mind mapping, voice recognition, read/write scanning, screen reading and word predictive software installed, as well as college-wide availability of “Texthelp Read & Write”, “Inspiration” and “Sonocent Audio Notetaker”.
- Portable devices such as laptops, adaptive keyboards, alternative mouse controls, digital dictaphones, MP3 players and fixed and portable Induction Loop Systems.
- Fixed Induction Loops are installed at the information desk, reception, Student’s Union and in the library.
- A screen magnifier is available for use in the library.