AIT Access Office
The Access Office supports students from socio-economic and disadvantaged groups such as mature students, people with disabilities, migrants, Travellers and grant assisted students in coming to third level. This office works towards the goals of the AIT access plan which reflects and documents AIT’s continued commitment to widening participation at third level and to providing a supportive, equal opportunity learning environment for all of our students.
The service provides pre-entry and post entry supports:
- The Access Course (Special Purpose Level 6): This course has been available in the institute since 1994. It was formerly called the Foundation Certificate. This course is intended for adult learners who wish to study after a break in their formal educational experience and who may not have benefited fully from, or have access to, previous educational experiences. Scroll to Downloads for the application form.
- Saturday Maths Programme: The Institute works with 24 schools in the midland region providing a leaving certificate pass maths programme. The programme runs from January to March. 80 students attend this programme each year.
- Student Assistance Fund: the Access Office administers the Student Assistance Fund (SAF) which provides financial assistance to qualifying fulltime students of the college. SAF forms can be downloaded from the Your Finances section of this website. Applications and supporting documentation should be returned to the Access Office at the commencement of term.
- The access office facilitates visits of individuals and groups to the Institute to explore third level education. The access officer visits groups to provide information in relation to accessing third level education. Please contact the office for further information.
Appointments can be made by;
- Calling to the Access Office (D07) on the D corridor around the corner from the main reception between 9.30am and 1pm.
- Tel: 090 646 8125 – leaving your name and mobile number if outside office hours.
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: All communication will be to your AIT student email address. It is every students’ responsibility to check their college email for notices or communication.
Theresa Ryan: Access Officer
Tel: +353 (0)90646 8123
Mary Bohan: Access Office Administrator
Tel: 090 646 8125
The Student Assistance Fund is part of the Third Level Access measure, funded by the Irish Government and part-funded by the ESF Programme for Employability, Inclusion and Learning (PEIL) 2014-2020. Please see www.studentfinance.ie for more information.