Pastry, Baking and Desserts
Why take this course?
This special purpose award, single subject module ensures that all students are competent in the production of breads, gateaux, pastries and desserts. Particular emphasis is placed on the scientific principles and production processes underpinning this discipline.There is an implicit understanding that all practical modules will demonstrate best
practice in food safety adhering to the principles of HACCP to produce safe, sound and wholesome food.
What will I experience?
- Bakery Products
- Quick Breads, Yeast Bread,
- Sourdoughs, Enriched Dough and Viennoisserie
- Classical and Contemporary Hot and Cold Plated Desserts
- Petit Fours
- Chocolate Work including centrepieces,
- Moulded and Dipped Chocolates
- Entremets and Decorated Gateau including Petit Gateau
- Workplace and Food Safety
- Considerations with the aim of Preparing Students to compete at international competition level
What opportunities might it lead to?
On completion an individual will have made themselves more employable in the hospitality Industry as pastry and bread making play a big part in this sector.
Participants are required to obtain the following (at their own expense):
• Chefs double breasted Jacket or White lab coat
• Head covering, scarves, bandanas, baseball caps, and chefs hats (or skull caps)
• Hair nets if necessary
• Long aprons (bib aprons preferably)
• Chef’s pants or loose comfortable pants
• Non slip safety shoesIdeally participants should have a basic knowledge of ingredients but this is not essential. Learning is achieved in a relaxed and friendly environment.
At the end of this course participants should be able to produce a wide variety of high quality pastry products. Participants will have an opportunity to evaluate dishes prepared and discuss the feasibility of each one in the workplace.
Please note for health and safety reasons, participants will have to purchase and wear protective clothing.
As this course takes place in a professional kitchen all students will be individually assessed re: eligibility following application.
- Course Fees:
- Course Duration:
- 12 Weeks
- Registration Closing Date:
August 15th - Septemeber 15th for applications.
Expression of interest at: https://forms.office.com/r/da42emSn1K
- Course Commencement Date:
- Course Award:
- Course NFQ Level:
- Level 6
- Dept of Hospitality, Tourism & Leisure
- Minimum Entry Requirements:
Level 5/ mature student/ experience with pastry
Careers & Opportunities
Pastry chef roles in hotels/ restuarants
Starting your own pastry business - cakes/ chocolates
Food production/ quality/ product development