Higher Certificate in Arts in Culinary Arts (Part Time)
Why take this course?
If you have a strong passion and interest in food then this culinary arts course is for you. This course will appeal to students who want to make a career for themselves in the hospitality industry. The course is a very dynamic and hands on, which combines theory and practical subjects to equip you for the world of cooking. The hospitality industry is one that is evolving all the time and is very rewarding. This programme will prepare you to work as a professional chef in the tourism and hospitality sector.
Students in the Department of Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure are eligible to take part in annual international fieldtrips. In the last two years we have visited Italy, Spain, France, China and Dubai.
Find out more about this course and our facilities by attending one of our regular open evenings where you can meet teaching staff and current students.
Online applications can be made at www.ait.ie and clicking Quicklinks, or at https://ssb.ancheim.ie/ait/app/bwskalog.P_DispLoginNon
What will I experience?
- This programme teaches students how to cook, prepare and serve food.
- Each class will teach you specific skills, beginning with basic ingredient identification. Our culinary arts lecturers will help you train your senses, guiding you through an incredible range of tastes and flavours from herbs and condiments to vegetables and meats.
- Your progression will continue through the development of culinary techniques such as knife skills, cooking processes, pastry and baking, larder and restaurant service.
- Most of the culinary experience will be on classical French cuisine, however you will get to prepare food from around the world, including Spanish, Greek, Chinese, American and Italian cuisine.
- Your practical classes will be backed up with theory, for example, food safety and hygiene, menu planning and nutrition.
What opportunities might it lead to?
- You could continue your studies and go on to study a BA in Culinary Arts and on to a BA Hons in Culinary Entrepreneurship and eventually a masters.·
- You could also decide to study hotel management where you would eligible to go into second year of the BA in Hotel and Leisure Management.
- In the culinary sector there are many job opportunities, such as working in hotels, restaurants, public houses, cruise ships or hospitals catering to name but a few.
- You may decide after a few years working in the industry that you want to open up your own business.
- You may want to become a head chef or sous chef in some of the leading hotels or restaurants in Ireland or aboard.
- Or you may become a celebrity chef and have your own cookery programme and write cookery books!!
- Having a culinary arts qualification is a passport to travel and work in any hospitality organisation around the world.
We place a lot of emphasis on student support and so we aim to provide a learning environment that is both stimulating and academically challenging, whilst also supporting your learning. You will encounter a range of teaching methods- from lectures, workshops and seminars to hands on practical therapy sessions and lab exercises. The course is taught by experienced lecturers with a track record of success in many sectors including the restaurant, hotel and food production industries. We appreciate that different students have different learning styles and so we provide a range of assessment approaches to suit everybody. Here are some of the ways we assess your work:
- Group work
- Multiple-choice tests
- Portfolio work
- Course Fees:
- €2500 tuition per year + approx €450 for uniforms, books, knives
- Registration Closing Date:
Fees apply for uniform, knives and books.
Applications will close in Summer, will be followed by interview and then will commence in September.
- Course Commencement Date:
- Cut Off CAO Points:
- Course Award:
- Higher Certificate in Arts
- Course NFQ Level:
- Level 6
- Dept of Hospitality, Tourism & Leisure Studies
- Minimum Entry Requirements:
The part-time programme is aimed at those who are working full time in industry who have work experience. Applicants must have worked for one year full time in a restaurant, hotel or contract catering kitchen or similar. Applicants must apply online and will also be requested to attend interview.
Applicants aged under 23 should have a Level 5 qualification or equivalent. Applicants age 23 and over can apply as mature applicants.