Certificate in Science Certificate in Emergency Nursing
Why take this course?
The Emergency Department (ED) Foundation Programme is a six month clinically based programme which aims to enhance the novice nurses’ knowledge,
skills and competencies in the delivery of evidence based care for patients who are victims of accidents and sudden illness. The programme provides for the
continuing professional development of nurses through education, clinical practice, leadership and research utilisation, providing a pathway for the nurse
to evolve not only professionally, but also personally which will enable him/her to fulfil their potential. Following the programme, it is expected that nurses
will be better able to critically evaluate and apply the required knowledge and skills to guide a comprehensive and systematic patient assessment to
include, planning, prioritisation, implementation and evaluation of evidence based nursing care. In addition, it is expected that as part of an interdisciplinary
team, the nurse will develop enhanced interpersonal, management and leadership skills in the co-ordination and management of patient care.
What will I experience?
This programme is designed to give solid theoretical and practical base to the understanding and development of emergency nursing care, providing a core
grounding in clinical practice and education in emergency nursing. Emergency nurses are required to work independently and interdependently with the
multidisciplinary team to provide the optimal level of emergency nursing care to patients and families who suffer sudden illness or injury. Emergency
nursing care is patient focused, family centred, maximises health and social gain and promotes excellence in nursing practice. The programme endeavours
to educate and guide emergency nursing practice, a speciality that is underpinned by expert knowledge, specialist education and clinical experience.
The overall aims of the programme are:
- To provide the essential education and clinical skills required by nurses joining the emergency department team.
- To provide the nurse with the knowledge, skills and attitudes to make them a safe practitioner in emergency care and to ensure the best standard of care for patients
- To provide an educational platform from which the nurse in time may access the Post Graduate Diploma in specialist Care
- To develop the knowledge, skills and attitudes of nursing, thus enabling them to fulfil their highest potential in both their personal and professional lives
What opportunities might it lead to?
It is envisaged that the knowledge and skills gained in this programme will prepare the ED nurse for progression onto the Post Grad Diploma in Specialist Nursing (Emergency).
Who should apply:
1) Registered Nurse on the active file of the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland ;
2) Currently employed or have access to work in an Emergency Department;
3) Priority will be given to HSE nursing staff currently employed in an Emergency Department
4) HSE nurses who can secure a placement in an Emergency Department and nurses from non HSE organisations who work in an Emergency Department may be offered a place on the programme subject to meeting the programme entry criteria and the availability of places.
This programme provides the student with a broad range of material in the psychomotor, cognitive and affective domains of learning which are applicable in the clinical practice context. While the programme provides a synthesis of material, each of the domains of course material is necessary in its own right. Subsequently the assessment strategy is designed so that the student has the opportunity to demonstrate mastery of each component.
The assessment for the module will consist of 2 assignments overview of QI in ED/IU and a patient case study assignment
Assessment will also include completion of an Emergency Nursing Foundation Programme Competency Workbook
- Registration Closing Date:
1st June 2019
- Course Commencement Date:
- Course Award:
- Certificate in Science
- Course NFQ Level:
- Level 8
- Dept of Nursing & Healthcare