Certificate in Culinary Skills (Springboard)
Why take this course?
- This course is designed for those who wish to work as a chef in the hotel/ restaurant/ contract catering sectors.
- This course includes a mixture of classroom and practical hospitality classes. These are taught in our state-of-the-art facilities, which include dedicated training kitchens, a stylish restaurant and modern classrooms and IT labs.
- The course is free for everyone. You will receive a uniform and knife set on registration.
What will I experience?
- Core subjects covered including Volume Food production, Culinary Techniques, Pastry and more.
- You will learn fundamental culinary skills from our dedicated and highly experience lecturers, taught in our fantastic facilities.
- On this course you take a compulsory work placement at the end of your first year.
What opportunities might it lead to?
- The Department of Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure offers all students the opportunity to take part in overseas field trips to explore international hospitality. In the last three years our students have visited China, Dubai, Malaysia, Poland, Italy, France and Spain, among others.
- Completion of the course will allow you to progress to year 2 of the Higher Certificate in Culinary Arts
- Completion of the course will open up new opportunities in the culinary service sector.
- Applications to be made on www.springboardcourses.ie
- Applicants must also upload supporting documentation with regard to eligibility on the Springboard AMS.
- Please contact Ms Georgina Hogan on firstname.lastname@example.org with enquiries
You will be assessed through:
- Practical work
- Continuous assessment
- Course Fees:
- Free for eligible Springboard participants
- Course Duration:
- 1 Year
- Course Commencement Date:
- Induction 16th September
- Teaching starts 23rd September
- Course Award:
- Course NFQ Level:
- Level 6
- Dept of Hospitality, Tourism & Leisure Studies
- Minimum Entry Requirements:
- Candidates must have a Level 5 (i.e. Leaving Certificate or full Further Education award) to gain admittance for a Level 6 course.
- Mature candidates (23+) are also eligible to apply.
- Candidates who do not have English as a first language will have to demonstrate competence in ability to complete assignments.
- Candidates should have a strong interest in working in the hospitality industry.
Brian O'Ruairc, Lecturer in Culinary Arts
Brian O'Ruairc is a graduate of the Culnary School in Killybegs, Thames Valley University, Slough & the City and Guilds Advanced Craft Cookery.
Patrick Walsh, Advanced Certificate in Professional Cookery
If you are truly passionate about food and want to become a great chef, then AIT is the best college to help you achieve your career goals.
Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure students in Dubai, 2017
"Dubai was an incredible experience for us. It was a place we never thought we would have wanted to visit but now we have a whole new perspective for ourfuture careers! We loved seeing the different culture and learning about the history of Dubai."
Hospitality students in Shanghai, 2018
Annual field trips to world leading cities help students develop awareness of global issues, standards and opportunities.
Careers & Opportunities
Upon completion of this course you can progress to Year 2 of our Higher Certificate in Culinary Arts (either full time or part-time)
Higher Certificate in Culinary Arts
Higher Certificate in Arts