Certificate in Science Certificate in Clinical Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Care
Why take this course?
This SPA will equip the student with a foundation in clinical pharmacy, therapeutics and pharmaceutical care and allow them to be part of the multidisciplinary team which is core to the use of medicines
What will I experience?
- Categorise clinically important interactions, contraindications in patient populations and adverse reactions and know when to refer.
- Illustrate a descriptive understanding of the following system disorders - gastro-intestinal, hepatic, renal, cardio, respiratory, endocrine, infections and obstetrics
- Discuss biochemical and haematological tests explaining reason for tests and value of normal parameters
- Illustrate a descriptive understanding of the following therapeutic groups - male health, haematology, oncology, musculoskeletal, ophthalmology, dermatology, neurology and psychiatry
- Critique the different life stages in terms of drug distribution, drug therapy, clinical disorders and pharmacokinetics
What opportunities might it lead to?
Enhance your clinical knowledge as a pharmacy technician, it will allow you to become more embedded in the multidisciplinary team. This qualification will allow you to obtain 10 ECTS. Some students (who have previously obtained a HC in Science Pharmacy Technician or equivalent) progress onto the fulltime BSc Pharmacy Technician receiving an exemption from this module while undertaking the degree.
- Weekly case studies (group and individual)
- Reflective analysis of scenarios from placement.
- Oral presentations
- Multiple choice questions
- Course Fees:
- on application
- Course Duration:
- 6 Months
- Registration Closing Date:
June and December
- Course Commencement Date:
September and January depending on demand
- Cut Off CAO Points:
- Median CAO Points:
- Course Award:
- Certificate in Science
- Course NFQ Level:
- Level 7
- Dept of Nursing & Healthcare
- Minimum Entry Requirements:
Hold a higher certificate in pharmacy technician or equivalent