Certificate in Applied Laboratory Science
Why take this course?
Delivered in a Online/Blended Learning Format. Online classes are recorded at each session and then uploaded into our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), currently Moodle. This enables students access the lecture online in their own time and at their own pace.
Online lectures can be viewed via your smartphone, laptop or personal computer. All that is required is good broadband connectivity.
Aim of Programme
The main aim of the programme is to provide learners of all backgrounds with the opportunity to explore and develop their interest in the Biopharma and Med Technology sectors. In particular, this program will provide the skills for individuals to be effective in a laboratory environment as they work towards the role of diagnostic assistant level and/or laboratory assistant level. Participation on this programme will provide a pathway to becoming a diagnostic technologist laboratory
assistant for graduates into the future. Skills specifically to be addressed at this level as identified through the consultation process are:
• Conscientious - attention to detail and quality.
• Effective communication skills.
• Hard Workers.
• Problem Solvers.
• Volumetric awareness and analysis.
• Bio Burden - sanitation.
What opportunities might it lead to?
• Laboratory Techniques and Quantitative Analysis
• Industrial Microbiology
• Diagnostic Immunotechnology
• Intro to Quality Assurance and Managment.
• Aseptic Practices
• Introduction to Biopharma
• Work Based Project (On a project in your own organisation or with an approved organisation)
Please note: Institute Induction is on Saturday 22 September 2018 from 9.30am to 1.00pm. Attendance on that date is compulsory.
- Course Fees:
- Course Duration:
- 1 Year
- Course Commencement Date:
Tuesday 18 September 2018 at 6pm
- Course Award:
- Course NFQ Level:
- Level 6
- Dept of Lifelong Learning
- Minimum Entry Requirements:
Grade O6 at ordinary level in five subjects in the Leaving Certificate examinations. Two of these subjects must be mathematics and a language (English or Irish).
Any QQI level 5 qualification is acceptable.