Bachelor of Science (Honours) Energy and Business Management
Why take this course?
This one year add on programme is ideal for those who want to pursue a career in the area of facility management. The particular emphasis of the programme is on Energy and Management. The student shall become familiar with the various types of energy efficient installations. Evidence based best practice and research are key strands of the theme of this year of study. The work based project module is intended to capture the knowledge and skills acquired under the suite of modules (Assessing the scope for energy savings and the implementation of energy efficient initiatives in the industrial and commercial sector).
What will I experience?
On the programme the student will engage in with taught modules in the following areas:
- Project Management
- Energy Auditing
- Business Sales & Marketing
- Environmental Science & Technology
- Energy Management
- Facilities Management & Law
- BIM & ICT
- Environmental Design
The Students will also complete a capstone work based project. This is considered an essential element of the programme and is intended to provide the learner with the opportunity to select an energy and business related topic and use this to integrate the learning of the programme as a whole.
What opportunities might it lead to?
Typical employment opportunities include:
- Role of Energy manager within a corporate structure.
- Role of Energy auditor of various building types.
Role of property/ facilities/ project manager.
- Work Responsibilities may include:
- Manage, audit and review the energy use in both new and existing commercial and industrial buildings.
- Apply green design principles regarding material choice for construction and fit-out
- Manage on-site facilities from a construction, personnel, contract and energy perspective.
- Assess the scope for energy savings and the implementation of energy efficiency initiatives on both a domestic and commercial scale.
- Identify and prioritise opportunities for environmental improvements within the work place and improve the well-being of the occupants.
- Effectively use BIM to develop construction data, schedules and energy simulation models.
- Course Duration:
- 1 Year
- Course Award:
- Bachelor of Science (Honours)
- Course NFQ Level:
- Level 8
- Dept of Civil, Construction & Mineral Engineering
- Minimum Entry Requirements:
Bachelor of Science in Sustainable Construction or equivalent Level 7 qualification.
Careers & Opportunities
Energy management within a corporate structure, Energy auditing (either for a company or through self-employment). The sales and development area of green energy supply, auditing and management, the area of property/facilities/project management.
This honours Bachelor’s degree is an effective basis for postgraduate study and research leading to a Master’s (Level 9) qualification.