Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) Mechanical Engineering
Why take this course?
A Mechanical Engineer has a working knowledge of computer applications, electricity, structures, mathematics, physics, computer aided design and drafting and materials science. For this reason, a degree in Mechanical Engineering can be used to gain well paid employment anywhere in the world that an engineer is needed. This programme is a one year add on, open to Level 7 graduates in Mechanical Engineering disciplines. It uniquely provides the student with option of specialising in one of the following core areas as part of their studies: Polymer Engineering, Manufacturing/Automation, and Energy Management. In addition, the programme offers the student a year long industrial project based in a company which gives the student valuable work experience. These industrial links are further enhanced by experienced lecturing staff combined with industrial visits and industrially based case studies. Mechanical Engineering is a rewarding career in which graduates can and do make a difference to society by applying their skills and knowledge.
What will I experience?
On this course you can:
- Gain valuable work experience by completing an industry based project
- Choose to specialise in one of the following areas - Polymer Engineering, Manufacturing/ Automation, Energy Management
- Have access to advanced laboratory equipment and teaching aids
- Improve your teamwork and communications skills by working as part of small teams on problem solving and projects
What opportunities might it lead to?
Your specific and specialist knowledge and skills will lead to proven career opportunities in such areas as:
- Mechanical Engineering
- Facilities Design and Management
- Manufacturing Process and Product Design
- Manufacturing / Automation
- Design and Manufacturing of Plastics
- Energy Management
- Project Management
In recent years, all of the graduates of this programme have obtained employment within 6 months of graduating, in a variety of companies both in Ireland and globally.
- Course Duration:
- 1 Year
- Course Award:
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Course NFQ Level:
- Level 8
- Dept of Mechanical/Polymer Engineering
- Minimum Entry Requirements:
Entry to the programme is restricted to holders of an appropriate Level 7 degree awarded at Merit 2 or equivalent. Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering and Renewable Energy or the Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering or a degree in any relevant engineering discipline or an equivalent Level 7.