Bachelor of Business (Honours) Management in Tourism and Sport
Why take this course?
The exciting, dynamic businesses of Tourism and Sport are inextricably linked and always require passionate ambitious graduates.This programme focuses on developing such honours degree graduates with the necessary problem solving, critical thinking, and communication skills and know how to become leaders in industry. Successful completion of this programme of study will open up a range of exciting career options for the graduate.
Students in the Department of Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure are eligible to take part in annual international field trips. In the last 3 academic years we visited France, China, Spain, Malaysia and Dubai.
What will I experience?
This programme focuses the strategic level content of Tourism, Sports, Marketing, Finance and Management. It is delivered using a number of contemporary teaching strategies including lecturers, workshops, and field trips. Dialogue between lectures and learners, and between learners themselves is a central theme within each module.
On this course you will learn to:
- Apply a critical, systematic, and mature approach to problem solving within the tourism and sport industry;
- Discriminate between alternative management strategies and to successfully manage change;
- Develop your communication and social skills resulting in a self-confident, responsible and enterprising graduate
You will achieve the above by being able to:
- Identify and develop strategic level solutions for a real life business problem;
- Manage a simulated business in a competitive market place over a semester;
- Visit and evaluate a successful indigenous Tourism business and apply strategic level theories for future planning for the business;
- Investigate the contributory factors resulting in the need for physical activity programmes, and assess successful contemporary national and international strategies for management of sport;
- Become an informed and skilled researcher.
What opportunities might it lead to?
Graduates of this programme have progressed to further study at level 9 in Business in AIT and Health Promotion, Leisure / Sport / Tourism management in other third level institutions. Others have found employment in careers such as event planning at large scale sports events (London Olympics 2012), sport development officers in county councils, with the HSE as health promotion and physical activity coordinators, with national sports governing bodies as coaches and administration officers, as tourism destination development officers in Ireland and abroad. Graduates have also completed Postgraduate studies in education and qualified as secondary school teachers in Career Guidance, Business Studies and Accounting.
We place a lot of emphasis on student support and so we aim to provide a learning environment that is both stimulating and academically challenging, whilst also supporting your learning. You will encounter a range of teaching methods- from lectures, workshops, field trips, presentations, in class peer led discussions and seminars. Use of Moodle, the institutes’ Virtual Learning Environment is core to all modules on the programme. Effective engagement with feedback (Verbal and/or Electronic), and peer and self-assessment is expected. The course is taught by experienced lecturers with a track record of success in many sectors including the hospitality, tourism, sport and spa industries.
- Course Duration:
- 1 Year
- Course Award:
- Bachelor of Business (Honours)
- Course NFQ Level:
- Level 8
- Dept of Hospitality, Tourism & Leisure Studies
- Minimum Entry Requirements:
Holders of the Bachelor of Business in Sport Management or an equivalent Level 7 qualification are eligible to join this programme.