Bachelor of Business (Honours) B.B. Hons Sport Management (with international placement)
CAO Course Code
Why take this course?
- On this course you take a compulsory 2 month work placement at the end of your second year. This placement can be taken in Ireland or abroad. You then take a second placement in your third year, which must be taken overseas and is six months in length. Placements are usually paid and there are opportunities to work in many different types of sporting organisations – from community to retail to sport development to coaching. We assist you finding a placement that matches your interests.
- The expertise of the lecturers in AIT involved in designing and delivering the course is extensive – all staff teaching on the course have excellent industry and academic backgrounds. Many teaching staff in the department are qualified up to master’s degree and doctoral level;
- The excellent teacher-student ratios provide learners with unrivalled access to lecturer expertise;
- The B.B. (Hons) Sport Management (with international placement) includes a mixture of classroom and practical classes. These are taught in our state-of-the-art facilities.
- Over the past 10 years AIT has developed into one of the premier sports facilities in the midlands. The Institute currently has both indoor and outdoor IAAF approved running tracks, a FIFA standard astro-turf pitch, two GAA pitches, a multipurpose sports hall and a state of the art fitness centre.
- AIT has offered a sport scholarship programme for over 10 years. This is administered by AIT’s sports department and enquires should be made directly to them at 090-6468222.
What will I experience?
Subjects taught on the B.B. (Hons) Sport Management (with international placement) are diverse and typical topics covered include (among others):
• Year 1: Sport Administration, Sport Studies, Acounting, Business Management, Wet Facility Management, Sport Coaching, Anatomy and Physiology
• Year 2: Work Placement (can be local or overseas), IT, Accounting, Marketing, Facility Management, Exercise and Fitness, Lifestyle Development;
• Year 3: Work Placement (must be overseas) Human Resource Management, Accounting, Sport Development, Sport Tourism Studies
• Year 4: Strategic, Marketing and Financial Management, Dissertation, Event Management, Management of Sport and Physical Activities. Students are awarded a B.B. (Hons) Sport Management (with international placement) degree at the end of Year 4. At this stage, students can progress if they wish to a further one year of study, where they will receive an MBS.
What opportunities might it lead to?
Employment opportunities exist in areas such as sport and recreation development/administration, sports coaching, health and fitness promotion, tourism and general business. Graduates of this course may progress to master’s degrees in business, health promotion, sports development. Graduates from the Department of Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure are employed in many nationally and world renowned organisations, including:
- Leisure centre, fitness and gym management;
- Tourism, leisure and outdoor activity employment;
- Charity, non-governmental organisations and education sector;
- Sport event, stadium and retail management;
- Sports development roles for organisations like the GAA.
- Course Duration:
- 4 Years
- CAO Course Code:
- AL 854
- Course Award:
- Bachelor of Business (Honours)
- Course NFQ Level:
- Level 8
- Dept of Hospitality, Tourism & Leisure Studies
- Minimum Entry Requirements:
Minimum Entry Requirements: Minimum six O6/H7 grades in the Leaving Certificate examination.
The six subjects presented must include English and Maths. Two of the six subjects must be at a grade of H5 or above.
Level 5 QQI: Any QQI-FET level 5 qualification is acceptable, but must contain a minimum of 3 distinctions.
The leisure, sport and recreation industry offers graduates a diverse, dynamic and flexible career path. The AIT Sports Management programme prepares students for an industry that is growing and exciting with employment opportunities around the globe.
These exciting and dynamic courses offer a range of subjects, opportunities and industry specific qualifications to enable students to gain employment across a range of sports, leisure and business industries.
Hospitality students in Shanghai, 2018
Annual field trips to world leading cities help students develop awareness of global issues, standards and opportunities.
Brian Lynam, Sport Management
The lectures in the Department genuinely care about students. I have greatly increased my skill set in AIT with qualifications in first aid, lifeguarding and a Register of Exercise Professionals recognition.
Careers & Opportunities
We offer a range of certificates to ensure you are highly qualified in addition to your degree. These include:
- CARA disability inclusion certificate
- First Aid responder certification
- RLSS pool lifeguard certification
- Sport Ireland Coaching Children certification
- Register for Exercise Professionals (REPS) accreditation at Level 3 for Fitness Instructor and Group fitness Instructor
- Sport Ireland Safeguarding 1 - Child Welfare & Protection Basic Awareness certification
- Foundation coaching courses and Award levels 1, 2, 3 in various sports
- Swim Ireland Assistant Swim Teachers
- Walking leader instructor
The B.B. Hons Sport Management contains two work placements.
Year 2 offers a two month Irish based work placement. We assist you in finding a provider who will give you an excellent employment experience with learning appropriate to your interests and experience to date.
Year 3 requires a six month international work placement. AIT will assist you in finding a suitable placement.
The Department of Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure also offers all students the opportunity to take part in overseas field trips to explore international issues. In the last few years we have brought our students to Beijing, Poznan, Paris, Barcelona, Parma, Shanghai, Dubai and Kuala Lumpur.