Higher Certificate in Business Sport and Recreation
CAO Course Code
Why take this course?
The key role of sport, leisure and tourism within Irish society and the Irish economy has led to the development of this two-year, full-time higher certificate course which aims to equip students with the knowledge, skills and attributes necessary for successful careers in a wide range of tourism, leisure, business, and sports-related activities. In the delivery of the programme emphasis is placed on technical skills. It is envisaged that Higher Certificate holders will be eligible to seek employment in areas such as sport and recreation development/administration, sports coaching, health and fitness promotion, tourism and general business.
Students in the Department of Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure are eligible to take part in annual international fieldtrips which have included destinations, such as Italy, Spain, France, China and Dubai.
Programme Contact - Joe Tierney Phone: +353 (0) 090 6442526 Email: email@example.com
What will I experience?
Additional Qualifications offered to Sport Year 2 Students:
- REPS Ireland Fitness Instruction and Group Fitness Instructor - This will enable students to be registered as exercise professionals and the registration is required by many employers. Students that are REPS registered can work in any other country that has a register. This
course and exams will take place each year in mid- late May
- RLSS Pool Lifeguard This course will enable students to be employed as pool lifeguards and is widely accepted abroad. We run this course between January and March each year - pool sessions take place during scheduled timetable classes and the majority of the theory is covered during review week in February.
What opportunities might it lead to?
Your specialist knowledge in Sport and Recreation could lead to many different career paths. Graduates of this programme have found employment in Westmeath Local Sports Partnership, Dublin GAA, Athlone Regional Sports Centre, Sports Retail and various gyms around the country and abroad.
Here are some routes our graduates have pursued:
- Sports Coaching
- Sports Development
- Gym Instruction
- Health and Fitness Promotion
- Further progression into the BBS in Sport Management
Matthew, a Student Ambassador at TUS Athlone talks about the ladder system available through this route to education and the opportunities it brings to students and how this course is for everyone.
Sport and Recreation - US 613 - Athlone Campus
Here are some of the ways we will assess your work:
- Practical based assessments
- Group work
- Multiple-choice tests
- Portfolio work
- Course Fees:
- Additional qualifications (if desired) and material fees
- Course Duration:
- 2 Years
- Course Commencement Date:
September, apply via CAO
- CAO Course Code:
- Course Award:
- Higher Certificate in Business
- Course NFQ Level:
- Level 6
- Dept of Hospitality, Tourism & Leisure
- Minimum Entry Requirements:
Grade O6 at ordinary level in five subjects in the Leaving Certificate examination. Two of these subjects must be Mathematics and a Language (English or Irish)
QQI (FETAC): Any QQI level 5 qualification is acceptable.
Careers & Opportunities
Graduates of the programme will develop multiple transferable skills, including practical skills through their coaching and community modules, business acumen through their core business subjects, numeracy skills through their accounting modules, the capacity for independent learning through their dissertation module, high levels of critical thinking skills through their theory based modules, and professional development competences through their work placement.
Students undertake a compulsory work placement in Year 2 of the programme (between Easter and Summer). TUS - Athlone Campus assists students in finding the work placement and these can be local, national or overseas.
When you graduate from this programme, you are eligible to apply to join the Bachelor of Business in Sport Management (Level 7) at TUS, or related Level 7 programmes in the Department of Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure. Many students opt to complete all four years to gain a competitive advantage when seeking further employment.
Bachelor of Business in Sport Management (with international placement)
Bachelor of Business (Honours)