Higher Certificate in Arts Culinary Arts
CAO Course Code
Why take this course?
If you have a strong passion and interest in food then this culinary arts course is for you. This course will appeal to students who want to make a career for themselves in the hospitality industry. The course is a very dynamic and hands on, which combines theory and practical subjects to equip you for the world of cooking. The hospitality industry is one that is evolving all the time and is very rewarding. This programme will prepare you to work as a professional chef in the tourism and hospitality sector.
Students in the Department of Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure are eligible to take part in annual international fieldtrips. In the last two years we have visited Italy, Spain, France, China and Dubai. Joining us in 2018? Then you could come on our next trip to Dubai, in January 2019. Find out more about this course and our facilities by attending one of our regular open evenings where you can meet teaching staff and current students.
What will I experience?
- This programme teaches students how to cook, prepare and serve food.
- Each class will teach you specific skills, beginning with basic ingredient identification. Our culinary arts lecturers will help you train your senses, guiding you through an incredible range of tastes and flavours from herbs and condiments to vegetables and meats.
- Your progression will continue through the development of culinary techniques such as knife skills, cooking processes, pastry and baking, larder and restaurant service.
- Most of the culinary experience will be on classical French cuisine, however you will get to prepare food from around the world, including Spanish, Greek, Chinese, American and Italian cuisine.
- Your practical classes will be backed up with theory, for example, food safety and hygiene, menu planning and nutrition.
What opportunities might it lead to?
- You could continue your studies and go on to study a BA in Culinary Arts and on to a BA Hons in Culinary Entrepreneurship and eventually a masters.·
- You could also decide to study hotel management where you would eligible to go into second year of the BA in Hotel and Leisure Management.
- In the culinary sector there are many job opportunities, such as working in hotels, restaurants, public houses, cruise ships or hospitals catering to name but a few.
- You may decide after a few years working in the industry that you want to open up your own business.
- You may want to become a head chef or sous chef in some of the leading hotels or restaurants in Ireland or aboard.
- Or you may become a celebrity chef and have your own cookery programme and write cookery books!!
- Having a culinary arts qualification is a passport to travel and work in any hospitality organisation around the world.
We place a lot of emphasis on student support and so we aim to provide a learning environment that is both stimulating and academically challenging, whilst also supporting your learning. You will encounter a range of teaching methods- from lectures, workshops and seminars to hands on practical therapy sessions and lab exercises. The course is taught by experienced lecturers with a track record of success in many sectors including the restaurant, hotel and food production industries. We appreciate that different students have different learning styles and so we provide a range of assessment approaches to suit everybody. Here are some of the ways we assess your work:
- Group work
- Multiple-choice tests
- Portfolio work
- Course Fees:
- Uniform, knives and materials fees.
- Course Duration:
- 2 Years
- CAO Course Code:
- Cut Off CAO Points:
- Median CAO Points:
- Course Award:
- Higher Certificate in Arts
- Course NFQ Level:
- Level 6
- Dept of Hospitality, Tourism & Leisure Studies
- Minimum Entry Requirements:
Grade O6 at ordinary level in five subjects in the Leaving Certificate examination. One of these subjects must be English.
Any QQI level 5 qualification is acceptable.
Brian O'Ruairc, Lecturer in Culinary Arts
Brian O'Ruairc is a graduate of the Culnary School in Killybegs, Thames Valley University, Slough & the City and Guilds Advanced Craft Cookery.
Patrick Walsh, Advanced Certificate in Professional Cookery
If you are truly passionate about food and want to become a great chef, then AIT is the best college to help you achieve your career goals.
Anna Pilska, Diploma in Restaurant Management, 2015
"The Diploma in Restaurant Management gave me the best professional preparation and confidence in my work performance. I had many years experience in restaurants before, but that course opened my mind to what I was doing right or wrong."
Patrick McGrath, HC Bar Supervision, 2015
"I really enjoyed this course - I didn't realise how much there was to learn about the bar trade. I have made some great pals up in Athlone. I am now working behind the bar in a five star hotel thanks to Athlone Institute of technology"
Careers & Opportunities
There are work placement opportunities locally, nationally and internationally. We have excellent links with the following hotels and groups: The O’Sullivan Group (Sheraton Athlone, Hodson Bay, Galway Bay), Ballyfin Demense, Mimoza’s Cannes, the Wineport, Knockranny House Hotel Westport and many others, all over the world.
Students who opt to take a work placement overseas are usually eligible for Erasmus + funding to support their travel and subsistence costs. We support all students in obtaining a work placement and you will have support from the college while on placement. Placements are generally paid and take place in summer between your second and third years of study.
Upon completion of the HC Culinary Arts, students who wish may progress to the add-on one year BA Culinary Arts. Upon completion of the B.A. Culinary Arts, students can then progress if they wish to the B.A. (Hons) Culinary Entrepreneurship. Both add-on courses can be taken on a full-time (1 year) or part-time basis (2 years).
Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Culinary Entrepreneurship
Bachelor of Arts (Honours)
Bachelor of Arts in Culinary Arts
Bachelor of Arts
Similar Courses to Higher Certificate in Culinary Arts
Higher Certificate in Arts Bar Supervision
Higher Certificate in Arts